I am a motivational theorist whose research is grounded in the fundamental distinction between approach and avoidance motivation. I have created a hierarchical model of approach-avoidance motivation that articulates the various ways that approach and avoidance processes operate across the neuraxis to produce affect, cognition, and behavior. I specialize in the goal construct, because I view goals as central to self-regulation, but I always study goal adoption and pursuit within the broader context of cultural, dispositional, and situational influences on motivation. In addition, an increasing portion of my work focuses on the influence of color on basic approach and avoidance processes in both the achievement and social domains. This research documents parallels between humans and other primates in the way that color perception impacts psychological and biological functioning.
Note from the Network: The holder of this profile has certified having all necessary rights, licenses, and authorization to post the files listed below. Visitors are welcome to copy or use any files for noncommercial or journalistic purposes provided they credit the profile holder and cite this page as the source.
- Elliot, A. J. (Ed.). (2008). Handbook of approach and avoidance motivation. New York: Taylor & Francis.
- Elliot, A. J., & Dweck, C. S. (Eds.). (2005). Handbook of competence and motivation. New York: Guilford Press.
- Thrash, T. M., Elliot, A. J., Maruskin, L. A., & Cassidy, S. (2010). Inspiration and the promotion of well-being: Tests of causality and mediation. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 98, 488-506.
- Roussel, P., Elliot, A. J., & Feltman, R. (2011). The influence of achievement goals and social goals on help-seeking from peers in an academic context. Learning and Instruction, 21, 394-402.
- Murayama, K., Elliot, A. J., & Yamagata, S. (2011). A broader analysis of construct separation: The illustrative case of performance-approach and performance-avoidance goals. Journal of Educational Psychology, 103, 238-256.
- Murayama, K., & Elliot, A. J. (in press). Achievement motivation and memory: Achievement Goals differentially influence immediate and delayed remember-know recognition memory. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin.
- Moller, A. C., Elliot, A. J., & Maier, M. A. (2009). Basic hue-meaning associations. Emotion, 9, 898-902.
- Friedman, R., Deci, E. L., Elliot, A. J., Moller, A. C., & Aarts, H. (2010). Motivational synchronicity: Priming motivational orientations with observations of others’ behaviors. Motivation and Emotion, 34, 34-38.
- Feltman, R., & Elliot, A. J. (2011). The influence of red on perceptions of dominance and threat in a competitive context. Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology, 33, 308-314.
- Elliot, A. J., Murayama, K., & Pekrun, R. (in press). A 3 x 2 achievement goal model. Journal of Educational Psychology.
- Moller, A. C., Deci, E. L., & Elliot, A. J. (2010). Person-level dynamics of the psychological need to belong: Sensitization with regard to the affective value of belonging. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 36, 754-767.
- Elliot, A. J., Thrash, T. M., & Murayama, K. (in press). A longitudinal analysis of self-regulation and well-being: Avoidance personal goals, avoidance coping, stress generation, and subjective well-being. Journal of Personality.
- Elliot, A. J., & Thrash, T. M. (2010). Approach and avoidance temperament as basic dimensions of personality. Journal of Personality, 78, 865-906.
- Elliot, A. J., Payes, V., Brisswalter, J., Cury, F., & Thayer, J. (in press). A subtle threat cue, heart rate variability, and cognitive performance. Psychophysiology.
- Elliot, A. J., & Niesta, D. (2008). Romantic red: Red enhances men’s attraction to women. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 95, 1150-1164.
- Elliot, A. J., Maier, M. A., Moller, A. C., Friedman, R., & Meinhardt, J. (2007). Color and psychological functioning: The effect of red on performance attainment. Journal of Experimental Psychology: General, 136, 154-168.
- Elliot, A. J., Maier, M. A., Binser, M. J., Friedman, R., & Pekrun, R. (2009). The effect of red on avoidance behavior in achievement contexts. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 35, 365-375.
- Cury, F., Da Fonseca, D., Zahn, I., & Elliot, A. J. (2008). Implicit theories and IQ test performance: A sequential mediational analysis. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 44, 783-791.
- Pazda, A. D., & Elliot, A. J. (in press). The color of attraction: How red influences physical appeal. In M. Paludi (Ed.), The psychology of love. New York, NY: Praeger Press.
- Murayama, K., Elliot, A. J., & Friedman, R. (in press). Achievement goals. In R. Ryan (Ed.), Oxford Handbook of Motivation. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Achievement and Motivation
- Exploring Research in Social Psychology
- Social Psychology and Individual Differences
Department of Clinical and Social Science in Psychology
488 Meliora Hall
University of Rochester
Rochester, New York 14627-0266
- Phone: (585) 275-8710
- Fax: (585) 273-1100